How Insulation Impacts Energy Efficiency
Why Energy Efficiency is Important in Building Design
- Buildings account for 40% of total energy consumption as well as 71% of electricity.
- Energy efficiency reduces the operating costs of a building for its entire life,
- making it more affordable,
- increasing its value per square foot,
- while improving the comfort of its occupants.
- By using the energy we have more efficiently helps protect the world’s vital, limited, energy resources—2/3 of which are in political jeopardy.
- The most cost-effective opportunity to make a building more thermally efficient is at the time of design and construction.
Why Sustainability is Important in Building Design
- Buildings contribute over 38% of total greenhouse gas emissions.
- Designing for sustainability means choosing building materials that minimize the impact on the environment, helping to preserve valuable natural resources while reducing emissions.
- Growth in new sustainable techniques as compared to conventional techniques means that now, more than ever, it is important to be sure your specs are up to date.
The Important Role of Insulation
- By increasing the level of insulation, buildings can be made significantly more energy efficient, sustainable and functional—all while giving you new design options. Insulation is often specified “to code”, and its real benefits are overlooked.
- Energy conservation through improved insulation is one of the least expensive and most secure forms of energy available to us.
- It also has one of the biggest impacts on reducing greenhouse gases, cutting carbon dioxide emissions by up to 780 million tons each year, which is equivalent to the annual electricity use of over 90 million homes.
- The most economically beneficial way to minimize energy consumption during a building’s lifetime is to install optimum amounts of insulation in all required areas during initial construction.
- Increased insulation allows you to:
- Increase window area to meet day lighting objectives, reducing building operating costs and improving occupant productivity and comfort.
- Reduce HVAC equipment size, and deliver conditioned air more efficiently for greater comfort and reduced operating costs.
- Insulation can have a significant impact on your project in regard to green building standards, such as Estidama and Dubai Green Building Code, LEED Certification or other certifications.